Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My First App-O-Rama Part 1

As those of you that know me well (or follow me on twitter - @bradleycfox ) know that I am quite into traveling - be it for work, pleasure, or just to fly/mileage run.

Lately I have become more and more interested in the non-flying/hotel stays aspect of accumulating points - specifically with credit cards and sign up bonuses. I decided it was time I dabble in that part of the "game".

I got my first credit card when I was 14 - thanks Mom and Dad! It had a massive $300 credit limit and was used solely to fill up my awesome 1986 Buick LeSabre (check out that ride! - mine definitely did not have a sunroof.) It was a simple (and smart) way of teaching me responsible credit use and that every time you use a credit card, you eventually have to pay off that purchase. Once I started my job I realized I needed a card to track work expenses and since then have opened roughly 15+ accounts. I certainly don't recommend that for everyone, but if you are diligent in paying your credit cards in full every month and also on time you can reap some nice rewards!

Before my recent application fest I carried or had these cards open :
- Wells Fargo Visa (rarely used - was included when I opened WF savings/checking accounts in 08, no annual fee)
- Two Capital One cards (my original card from when I was 14 and my 2nd card that was used for work expenses, also rarely used / no annual fee)
- Discover Miles card ( signed up for companion ticket, now only use with promotions, no annual fee)
- My work Visa card from The National Bank of Iowa - yes, The National Bank in Bettendorf, IA! (this card is used for work expenses such as bibs, safety pins, envelopes, etc.)
- American Express Hilton HHonors card (used for booking Hilton stays, no annual fee)
- Chase United Plus Visa Signature ( main spend card, United bookings, 2x points on gas/groceries. $95 annual fee - I get a credit as United 1k)
- Chase Presidential Plus card ( allows me upgrades on award bookings, Avis elite status, United Club membership. Regular annual fee is $395. I got the first year waived and now annual is $287.50 - I'll share with you soon how to do this if there is interest.)

My goals for my first application process were to : get some good sign up bonuses (with spend I thought I could hit), get approval for all applications, and diversify my miles/points situation. I planned to apply for four cards - Citi AAdvantage Visa Signature, Citi AAdvantage American Express, Chase Hyatt and Chase Sapphire Preferred. I'll summarize my reasoning for each card (and two surprises...) next time along with the outcome and benefits of each new card.

Do you play any aspect of "the game?"
-Brad

1 comment:

  1. nice, Brad. well strategically played game.
    of course they hope to get lots of interest from you, but seems they not getting any - you're not good customer! :-)
    looking forward to additional posts!
    cheers

    ReplyDelete